There are many effective demand gen strategies. But knowing which works best for B2B SaaS or your individual business isn't always straightforward.
In this blog post, we will explore the best demand generation strategies for B2B SaaS. We'll look at how to use them to meet your goals and how they'll inform your current or future marketing strategy.
What Are 9 Key Strategies for Demand Generation?
Before I talk strategy, I want to get one concept out in the open. We're going to look at 9 effective demand gen strategies that are very effective for B2B SaaS looking to grow their companies.
But I'm not suggesting you use one of these and run with it. These strategies are interconnected. Implementing each of these together amplifies your demand generation to not only generate more revenues.
And you can do it time- and cost-effectively to generate the positive cash flow you'll need to grow.
1. Define Your Audience for Better Targeting
Create data-backed buyer personas that represent your ideal customer. Use this demand gen tool to connect more efficiently with targeted messaging within these other demand generation strategies.
2. Focus on Full Funnel
Buyers go through three distinct stages of a buyer's journey.
- Non-aware. They don't know they have a problem or how much it's impacting their productivity, business goals, customer relationships, etc.
- You have the answer to this problem, but they don't know they have a problem yet.
- To generate demand, research, plan, create, and publish content to expand awareness of the problem.
- Use it to guide them into the next stage and capture the lead (email list, etc.) to improve your ability to nurture.
- Problem-aware. They now know they have a problem. They want to learn everything they can about possible solutions.
- Engage them with content that helps them explore the solutions.
- Focus on benefits, not specific SaaS features, which will seem overwhelming right now.
- Solution-aware. They now need to define and refine the solutions that will work best for them.
- Allow them to experience the solution with a demo or free trial.
Map out the buyer's journey within your company to enhance the timing and relevance of your messages.
3. Be Omnichannel
According to McKinsey, 94% of survey marketing leader respondents said the move toward a more omnichannel experience has been good for businesses and customers. B2B customers regularly interact with brands across at least 10 channels.
These include various channels:
- Organic social media and search
- Paid social media and search
- Display ads on Google and Facebook partner websites
To implement an effective omnichannel experience, you must be consistent, targeted, and resourceful. This allows you to work within time and money constraints.
For example, deploying effective analytics, A/B testing, a robust content management system, and automation allows you to streamline content creation and related processes. Eliminate duplicate efforts to maximize ROI.
4. Build a Relationship
Demand generation gets much easier when B2B SaaS companies focus on solving real-world problems. You build authority, industry relevance, and a following of loyal fans/customers.
This becomes a magnetic force that amplifies demand generation.
To build a relationship, listen to your customers and prospects. Build your content messages around their needs, goals, and preferences.
Showcase your willingness to solve B2B problems and how others use your SaaS to meet their goals.
5. Publish High-Quality Content
High-quality content is the substance that turns "strategy" into tangible business results. Use it to communicate thought leadership, authority, relevance, and your unique value proposition (UVP).
Guide and influence by presenting the right kind of content at the right stage of the buyer's journey.
- Someone is not aware they have a problem. Social media posts, blog posts, and videos can help them learn about their problem.
- Guide them to the solutions. Leverage valuable content to capture demand through email list sign-up. Checklist, Guide, etc.
- Send them solution-focused content via email to nurture that interest into making a decision. Case studies Vs. Content, etc.
- Offer them a demo or free trial so they can experience the solution.
- Assign the lead to a sales rep. Follow-up with a Sales email sequence (email automation) that includes sales enablement content.
- Support and re-engage them to increase retention and CLV through retargeting, social media, email, customer support
6. Streamline Workflows with Automation
Identify repetitive and time-sensitive tasks. Use automation to enhance workflow and improve results.
For example, lead scoring automation tracks a lead's behaviors. It identifies when the MQL becomes a SQL. It can then assign that person to a sales rep to begin email sequences and sales outreach.
This is known as Speed the Lead.
According to Oracle research, lead quality increases by 80% when companies employ automation. And this is just one pivotal moment you can use it to enhance results.
7. Unify Marketing, Sales & Service
A unified marketing, sales & service team communicates one message and accomplishes perfectly timed hand-offs. Achieve consistently delightful customer experiences. People want to share these experiences online.
This sharing feeds the top of funnel. It generates more demand.
8. Target Key Accounts
- Are high ROI and CLV
- Help you generate buzz and demand
- Show that your SaaS works
- Give you valuable feedback that helps you improve your product
They've also been working with you for a while, and it may be a name people know. Even better!
Identify key accounts to acquire and retain. While you never want to be too reliant on one account, these are critical for Demand Gen and growth.
9. Optimize with A/B Testing, Tracking, and Analytics
Track, test, and analyze to improve how you apply these strategies continually. Invest in tools to correctly attribute revenues across the buyer's journey—not just the last touch.
Track ROI of your various strategies, channels, and companies to determine which ones you should increase to grow.
This not only improves their effectiveness. It cuts costs to increase ROI.
How to Build a Successful Demand Gen Campaign?
Leverage these strategies to provide real value to customers. This builds credibility that attracts the right people and guides them through the buyer's journey.
Want to know more about how to implement demand gen for your B2B SaaS company? See how Dropbox increased targeted engagement by 6.5X.